Group Leader/Good Shepherd Volunteer
Red Hook Community Center
Reports To: Beacon Director: Rob Abbot. Program Director
Location: RHCC Beacon at PS 15
71 Sullivan Street, Brooklyn NY 11231
718.522.6910 / 718.422.1900 x325
Hours: 2 days 10:00 am to 6:00 pm; 3 days 1:30 pm to 9:00 pm
Job Summary: Responsible for the direct supervision and leadership of a group of youth participants involved in a variety of Beacon activities. This involves assisting in the facilitation of day, evening, weekend and summer activities for children and adults In a youth and human development model that emphasizes strengthening each persons skills and mastery, engaging young people and adults in nurturing and supportive relationships, and encouraging participants to contribute to family and community.
- Lead groups of elementary, junior and high school students in daily afterschool activities including academic enrichment, arts and crafts, recreation and special events.
- Responsible for developing daily lesson plans for afterschool activities.
- Work with staff to organize and supervise recreational and cultural enrichment activities and special events and trips.
- Assist the site coordinator in carrying out regular program activities. This requires flexibility and the ability to understand and respond to the specific needs of the program.
- Completion of required documentation.
- Participation in training and staff development activities.
Job Requirements: At least 2 years of college experience, flexibility, good organizational and communication skills, experience working with children. Able to work at least three evenings a week until 9 p.m. A drivers license is preferred. All staff are expected to be committed to the mission, vision and values of Good Shepherd Services, which includes
involvement in quality improvement activities, and a willingness and ability to work within a culturally diverse environment.