Parent Aide Volunteer
Foster Boarding Home and Adoption Services
Reports To: Family Activity Supervisor
Job Summary: To assist the Social Work Department in performing a wide range of support
services to children and families served by our Bronx and East Harlem offices. To work with
Community Workers and Family Activity Specialists to provide recreational, cultural and
spiritual opportunities for our program participants.
- Completing required foster home visits on selected cases, when case workers are
unavailable to do so.
- Assessing each child’s current functioning in the foster home, and the care he/she is
receiving from the foster family.
- Meeting with children to discuss and assess their religious needs and plan for meeting
those needs with their families.
- Liaison with local churches/synagogues and/or provision of religious instruction
- Supervising visitation between biological families and children on selected cases. This
may involve work during the evening and on Saturdays.
- Observe and assess the quality of parent interaction, model parenting skills for some
visitors and facilitate positive interaction through the use of age appropriate toys,
games and play materials.
- Meet with biological parents about religious needs for themselves and their children.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of various recreational, religious and
cultural activities for children and tamilics; trips with groups of youngstcrs both in and
outside NYC, holiday parties, arrangements for Sacraments, special visits for
- Provide special emotional support lo children and families when situations require it.
This may involve visits to hospitals, jails, attendance at wakes and funerals.
- Assist social service staff in transporting children when emergencies require it,
accompanying biological parents to selected appointments, one-to-one activities with
“special needs” children etc.
- Provide clear and timely written documentation of all activities for program records.
- Participate in all agency trainings, unit meetings, special projects, etc.Job Qualifications: Some college credits required, BA preferred. Must have valid drivers license. Bi-lingual (English-Spanish) preferred. Must be flexible regarding hours of work and tasks – emergencies make the job unpredictable. Good written/oral communication skills needed. Ability to interact positively with children, parents and staff.